Sunday, October 14, 2007

Nicole

(being part of my "Chicks With Guns" campaign)



I took my best friend to the range today. Nicole is more than a friend, really, I've adopted her as the little sister I never had...she is family. Nicole has an interesting background. She has been to China, interned at a morgue, and dug for dinosaurs in Utah and Alberta, Canada. She loves Renaissance faires and movie soundtracks, and works at the Natural History Museum. She has a large rock collection, has the amazing ability to find money wherever she goes, and makes the most beautiful beaded chainmail jewelry. She also has a rare calm, a centeredness that makes her brave and unflappable. Nicole will try anything once. This, however, was her second try at the range.

Nicole decided that she loves the .22 automatic, a Ruger Mark II. I taught her the 4 Rules, how to load up the magazine, chamber a round, the failure drill and she was off on her own. Nicole seems to especially love rapid fire, shooting off all 3 magazines with a big smile on her face...and what a smile!


Nicole bravely shot the .357, even after watching Mike shoot it. (except with the .357 it's more feeling than watching. The concussion is palpable two lanes away.) She shot 3 rounds and stopped, laughing in amazement at the recoil, her sore hand and the fact that she actually hit the target. She's already talking about next time.

7 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

Horay for Chicks With Guns!!

BTW I don't think I mentioned in my last post there was another woman on the trap feild.

Ladies are gaining on us man-folk, and nobody will be more pleased than me if they pass us!

Anonymous said...

Since I reload my ammo, my next .357 Magnums are going to be loaded specifically for sound and fury. Very light bullet pushed by a LOT of powder.

The great thing about my Dan Wesson is that every time I go to the range with it, the first shot causes the range to go quiet as everyone looks around. Me? I never noticed it until I let someone else shoot it. From behind, it's not as concussive as if you're to the side.

I ended up shooting next to a .357 one day, and now I realize why people move away.

And that's the "baby" magnum!

breda said...

Robb - when Mike brings out the .357, he politely shouts "Fire in the hole!"

People still look pretty surprised.

BobG said...

You might try letting her shoot a few .38 specials; she might like those better.
I like the Ruger 22; I first learned to shoot my dad's back in the late fifties. I now have his, and Mark II of my own.

breda said...

BobG - Nicole tested out the laser sights on our .38 snubby. She thought it was fun, even though it smacked her hand. =)

Anonymous said...

She is very beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I've never cleared a range with a .357. A .44 Desert Eagle on the other hand tends to cause everyone to stop and wonder who let the howitzer onto the range...