Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Nikki

(another chick! with a gun!)

Nikki and I met through our mutual friend Lydia. Last summer, Lydia had a potluck at her house to introduce us. So we drank beer, ate Nikki's delicious rice noodle macaroni and cheese (Lydia has wheat issues), laughed, drank more beer, and I quickly convinced her that, yes! non-democrat type people are nice! and fun! Really! (we are so.)

I also somehow convinced her to come shooting with me.

Nikki met us at the range yesterday, looking a little apprehensive. As we stood at the counter, waiting to get signed in, I pointed to the pistols in the case in a "look, there's some guns" manner. She said, "Okay, that's frightening."

Uh-oh.

And to top it off, the range was very crowded. More crowded than I had ever seen before. I could also hear lots of large caliber guns being shot in the back. I started to get a little nervous for Nikki at this point.

We bought some silhouettes and then I turned to her and said, "Ready?" By now she had a somewhat terrified smile on her face, but bravely followed me in.

I had previously emailed Nikki the 4 Rules, and she had read them thoroughly so we only briefly discussed them. I let her handle the unloaded .22 revolver and showed her how to properly grip it. I showed her how to load, shot the first rounds myself to demonstrate DA/SA, reloaded and then set the pistol down so she could give it a try. She shot all five rounds, but between each one said, "This is scary!"

Frightened or not, Nikki went on to shoot every gun we own and even a 9mm we rented from the range.


As time went on, Nikki became more comfortable loading and handling the pistols, and even proved to be a pretty good shot! She also surprised me by saying that our stainless steel Ruger SP101 was her favorite gun to shoot.


On our way out of the range, Nikki said that she could see how the focus you need for target shooting could be therapeutic and calming. She also said that she definitely would like to meet me at the range some weekday night to try it again!

(I recently found out that Nikki's husband Ryan has never tried shooting either. He's not a chick - but I'll teach him anyway!)

14 comments:

Tam said...

...and Breda's quiet takeover of Ohio continues apace... :D

JD said...

Good for you! Good to hear of another one on the way to conversion!

= )

Nicki said...

And here I thought you were talking about me! LOL

I'm SOOO self centered!

Mike W. said...

At what distance are you having them start off?

And I must say every single time you post one of these the shooters have that same happy grin!

Carteach said...

Doing good works....

Well done!

BobG said...

A few more like you and we could kick the Brady Bunch to the curb.

Anonymous said...

Travel distance allowing, what do you think about meeting your students the day or evening before the range visit for a low pressure preview of safety and handling? More tea? Please pass the dummy rounds. Flatten out the learning curve and stress declines. Just a thought, you seem to be doing quite well as is.

Xavier said...

Way togo Nikki! .........and Breda!

Anonymous said...

You are truly doing Crom's work.

Christina RN LMT said...

Yay, Breda!

Wish you lived in Vegas...

NotClauswitz said...

The congregation at Breda's Church of the Gun increases its fellowship.

doubletrouble said...

Good job young lady!

Showing a "non-believer" the ways of gunhandling & the fun of shooting is the BEST method of strengthening our ranks.

Now the previously a-scairt "guns 'r bad m'kay" lady will (hopefully) pass the word...

phlegmfatale said...

Well done on you, Breda, and good on Nikki for daring to face and overcome frightening misconceptions. Keep up the good work!

Kevin said...

I bow in your direction!