Sunday, January 20, 2008

On the bedside table.

I got a little bored with Ann Coulter's newest (It's a compilation of her snarkiest bits, which I'm sure I've already read someplace or another) so tonight I started Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. I'm only a few dozen pages in, but I can already tell that I'm going to have to find the entire series, in order, and...uh-oh. I just read on wikipedia that there's more than 40 books in the Discworld series. I'll try to pace myself.

I took this nifty quiz and the results were funny, and really kind of accurate. I scored as Nanny Ogg (note: beer)...and my second was the Librarian.



Which Discworld Character are you like (with pics)
created with QuizFarm.com
You scored as Gytha (Nanny) Ogg

You are Nanny Ogg! A talented witch, able to make yourself at home wherever you are, and insist that Greebo is just a big softie. You enjoy drinking, a lot, and singing about a hedgehog. You have a huge family, and get your daughters-in-law to do most of the housework. You are kind and gentle, and help put people at ease.


Meanwhile, my own little Great A'Tuin, Myra, is currently in the crabbiest part of her semi-hibernation. Is it coincidence that this happens simultaneously with bitterly cold snowstorms and absolutely no sunshine whatsoever? I think not.

6 comments:

Carteach said...

Yes, Nanny is a great character. I think I would have liked to met her, in her younger days :)

The whole series is 'magical'.

Oh... the librarian enjoys a good beer once in a while too...

Tam said...

I'm about halfway through Wyrd Sisters, having already read Witches Abroad.

Phlegmmy was right, the Witches books mat be even better than the Watch books.

Hunter said...

I have it so bad that I just purchased all of the DiscWorld books not held by our library here in Ketchikan. Once Debi and I have read the entire series, ours and the library, we will donate ours to the collection.
Can't you just see Rincewind sailing over the edge of the Rim, with The Luggage leaping furiously behind him?

Comrade Misfit said...

My closest match was the Librarian, second closest was Death.

No idea what the frak that means. Does that mean if you don't return the books, you die?

(Can you tell that I've never read any of the books?)

phlegmfatale said...

YOu know, I'm in the middle of Night Watch - I've sort of jumbled up the order of things, and I am daily bowled over by Pratchett. Considered on another level, I think his writing is so deeply stirring in Night Watch that it nearly chokes me up to consider. This one's not so light-hearted, but jeez louise-- I'm astonished that this writer I thought I knew so well has gone about 20 steps beyond. *gobsmacked*

Suffice to say he's well on his way to supplanting my favorite author, Gabriel Garcia-Marquez. And I think that's really saying something. Discworld is the most onion-peeling fest of a series I've ever read - there's so much more there there. I feel like I need to write him a check every time I finish one of his books, and possibly smoke a cigarette. Is this legal?

Anonymous said...

To add my $0.02 belatedly, I have to say that I've enjoyed the Discworld series thus far immensely. "Guards, Guards" is the latest one I've read, and I do indeed look forward to getting my nose into the rest of them. You might like also "Good Omens," which Pratchett co-wrote with Neil Gaiman, it really is a gem. Jim.

PS - I scored as the Librarian. No wonder I thought that banana bread of yours sounded so good!