Sunday, September 21, 2008

most awesome range report ever! *

As we headed out to the range today, I asked Mike if he had packed any .45 ammunition.

"I have some .45 reloads for that Norinco I borrowed from Ed.** Why do you ask?"

"I'm just wondering. Do we have any regular stuff, a box of Winchester maybe?"

Mike looked puzzled for a second and then he realized what I was up to, "Ohhhh. You want to rent that Colt again...your gun."

I sighed. "Yeah. My gun." My gun that I can't afford, the one that I keep visiting at the range. My bittersweet love affair with a 1991A1. I must be a glutton for punishment because once in a while, when I'm feeling a bit blue, I like to rent it and torment myself. We spend a deeply meaningful and blissful hour together and then I look at it longingly as I leave it behind. "Maybe someday," I think, as I watch the man behind the counter put that beautiful gun back behind glass. Someday.

Anyway, I went to the range quite prepared to wallow in the little funk that I've been in lately but ended up having the absolute opposite experience. Life is funny like that.

I walked into the range, said hello as I usually do to the men who work there, and walked past a customer who made eye contact with me and exclaimed, "I know you!"

"Umm. No, you don't." I continued walking to the counter, getting ready to sign in.

He said something like, "You're on the internet! I read you all the time." (I can't remember the conversation verbatim, because at this point I was freaking out. Everything was lost in the blur of the giant zOMG! going off in my brain.)

I said,"I have no idea what you're talking about," but I'm sure I was blushing like a big goofball. I was also thinking, "Aw, crap. Why didn't I wash my hair and wear makeup today?" I mean, if I had only known...but I was wearing my "Action Hero" t-shirt, so I guess that's better than nothing.

At this point, Mike was so delighted he couldn't contain himself. "Yep! That's her!" I didn't look but I'm sure he had a huge grin on his face.

I owned up to authoring the blog (& by now the range guys were all asking, "Blog? What blog? Wait - are you famous? Why didn't you tell us? Give us the web address!") and talked politics and pistols for a long while with John, a local blog reader. John, an artist with a day job (sounds familiar), is somewhat new to shooting and is working on getting his CCW. I also learned that he has a wife who has never tried shooting and so, being totally shameless in my quest to create more chicks with guns, I immediately gave him my number.

So I've been smiling all afternoon - laughing at my tiny bit of fame, amazed at the wonderfulness of the internet, giddy at the tight little groupings I got from the Colt 1991A1, and just plain enjoying the last official Sunday of summer.

(And to all of you out there who read my blog but I may never be lucky enough to meet...thank you, thank you, thank you.)
____________________________

*I'm so full o' squee that I can't think of a better title. (and you know, often the hardest part of writing a blog is coming up with titles. Sometimes I'm so stymied that I just scrap the whole post.)

** Ed and Mike have been best friends since the year I was born. Ed was also the best man at our wedding, and has since become one of my very good friends too. Ed's father is currently teaching Mike how to cast bullets and reload.

20 comments:

Jay G said...

So should we start refering to you as the world's most recognized librarian now? *g*

Too cool, Breda. I'm afraid I'll be recognized someday - as the psycho guy from the teletubbie bayonet video... ;)

Scott R said...

Off topic, in case you're interested. A sign seen at a SP rally in Florida: "Our lipstick beats their dipstick."

Priceless.

Alan said...

Can I have your autograph?

Christina RN LMT said...

I'm squeeing right along with you!

Someday I'll be able to say, "I knew her when..."

Weer'd Beard said...

Seriously, Breda keep your eyes out on the used racks of your favorite gun shop. Brandy-new 1911s can be very spendy, but pick up one in solid condition from the used rack and you can makeout alright.

I don't know if I'd ever really trust a sub $400 1911, so you'll never find one "Cheap", but that doesn't mean you have to dump $900+ to get JM Browning's .45 in your holster.

Hell I'm hardly Daddy Warbux, but I have a pair of 1911s (Both used Smith and Wessons) in my stables.

Also don't be afraid of a gun that isn't 100% how you like them. 1911 parts are easy to find, and in many cases easy to install, and any gunsmith worth his salt can do quite a bit of magic with a 1911.

I'd say saving your pennies and keeping a keen lookout for used guns, while studying under Tam and Xavior amoung others at what to look for and what to avoid in the platform you should be able to get one added to your collection.

Arrrrr

BTW it was a 1911 that turned me for a Gun Fearing Wussie, unto the Gun-Nut you see today!

West, By God said...

That's what you get. My "internet self" will never likely meet with my "real life" because only three people actually read my blog.

Bruce said...

Yeah, I never seem to get that reaction at the supermarket or the post office. It's only at gun shops and at the range. Go figger.

lv4921391 said...

ah Breda now that it's a work day I have a challenge. Once upon a time while teaching (1998) a study skills class I had bought 450 Reader's Digests to supplement the books to read. I found among them a story about a Marine that had taken a break while working at night on the hangar deck of a carrier. He was standing outside the hangar enjoying a smoke when the ship suddenly zagged, the hatch swung shut and knocked him into the ocean. 36 hours later it was discovered he was missing and 5 or 6 days later some fishermen west of Malayasia found him floating. He was alive and lived to go back to Idaho. Readers Digest has no idea of the month or year of the story. I'd like to purchase it again. Any interest in researching this ? Al

Lissa said...

Breda's famous, yay!

And re: the Twitter -- there's nothing wrong with being cat furniture.

Joe Carpenter said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us all.
Joe - Reno, NV

Tam said...

That is so cool!

Breda's all famous and stuff! :)

Robert Langham said...

So, do they let famous Librarians shoot free or what?

Advice to Breda: Get used to being recognized and famous.

Sigivald said...

I have a Norinco 1911A1, and it's been perfectly reliable, by 1911 standards.

The only negatives are cosmetic (ie, parkerized and thus tends to wear kinda ugly, and there are tool marks on the non-bearing surfaces in the slide).

Of course, you can't go buy a new one these days... but that also means the PRC isn't getting any money, so that's a win.

kaveman said...

Be patient and go to the gun shows. You can find a like new 1911 for about 40% less than new price.

But, ya could put out one of those tip jars at your desk at work.

Just slap a picture of a horse on it and a caption: Help Save the Colts.

I won't tell.

Xavier said...

I knew you would become the Range Darling of the 'net when I first read your blog!

You deserve it!

Robert Langham said...

Change: "Show Me Your Love" which sounds a little ambiguous to "Buy Breda a 1911". On the tipjar. I dare you!

Mike W. said...

I know they're very cheap, but I've heard quite a few good things about RIA 1911's.

Buckshot said...

I second the "Tip Jar" change to "Buy Breda an M1911".

Of couse, the "Save the Colts" idea ia s great one too.

There is NOTHING I have heard wrong with the RIA or the Lone Pine M1911A1s, you just have to realize and be prepared for their limitations, they don't handle HPs without some work, they are set up just like the WW II Colts, tuned for hardball, anything else is just an afterthought.

Buckshot

Chris M said...

Two people already beat me to the recommendation of a Rock Island Armory 1911. About half the price of a Colt and well worth their price. I've got an RIA Compact 1911 and love it. It's the third 1911 I've owned and the most accurate so far. It's totally omnivorous, consuming FMJ, HP, and LSWC loads without any hesitations. Everyone who shoots it loves it. That 1991a1 may be your first but you won't regret getting an RIA of your very own.

fastbike said...

Doesn't the 1911 just feel "right"? I've enjoyed other 45's but the 1911 just fits.