Tuesday, December 4, 2007

I had an interesting moment today. We were having some work done on our sewer line this afternoon (the tree roots have blocked the line, and since the previous owners didn't pay attention to these little details, we now have a "situation") and I was home alone.

They dug up the yard, put their little snake thingy down the pipe, and began roto-ing their rooter. (rooting their roto? whichever.) Anyway, the one guy looking down the line with a flashlight then says to me, "I'd like to see the basement." and wanted me to show him where it was.

So. I let him into the house, leading him to the basement, all the while thinking, "I am an idiot. Idiot. Why didn't I get the gun earlier? Dumbdumbdumb." Granted, I'm probably paranoid...there was another man outside, we've used their service before, and they are perfectly nice, but....

...yeah, there's always that "but."

3 comments:

Mulliga said...

I wouldn't call that paranoia. I'd call that awareness. Since you've already had the notion that even your Roto-Rooter guy could be a threat to you, you're about a mile ahead of most people.

What was that quote?

"Be polite, be courteous. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Sevesteen said...

This sort of situation is part of why I put a holster on (or in my pocket) when I get dressed.

What I'm liable to forget is a cover shirt...I went out to meet the window guy when he was giving me a quote, and forgot I had my XD in an IWB holster. I don't think he noticed, but still...

Less said...

+2 to what mulliga said...

Hell I check the door in position sul if someone is knocking...

If it is anyone I care to talk to I holster/hide and open up.

If not, I holster and release the hounds...