Thursday, October 30, 2008

Little Sure Shot

On our way to Indianapolis last week, we passed the exit for Greenville, Ohio. A rural community, Greenville is the home of the Garst Museum which features an exhibit on the life of Annie Oakley, who was born nearby.

When I'm at the range, I often think about Annie, my homegrown heroine. She was exactly my height, 5 feet tall, and, with a .22 caliber rifle, could split a playing card edge-on and put five or six more holes in it before it touched the ground. Although she was most famous for her amazing shooting ability and career with Buffalo Bill's Wild West show, Annie also campaigned for women's rights to bear and use firearms for sport and to defend themselves in their homes and on city streets. It's said that she coached more than 2000 women in firearm safety and shooting.

Annie is also buried in Greenville. Someday, I'd like to visit her to say thank you - and I'll be carrying my gun.

Annie Oakley and her husband Frank Butler, filmed by Thomas Edison
November 1, 1894



"Aim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, nor the second and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally, you'll hit the Bull's-Eye of Success."
- Annie Oakley

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch that video carefully.

She is fast, but she is smooth. No jerky or flailing movements. Smooth, economical motions.

That's how you shoot fast, boys and girls. Shoot smoooooooth.

Weetabix said...

Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast?

I never knew much about her, so this is an interesting post... hmm... it's probably interesting even if I had known about her. Anyway.

Interesting range safety there, too.

And she's kinda purty.

B Smith said...

Annie Oakley was indeed an attractive woman, yet another quality that you both share.

P.S. I like the white stripe from the previous post...kinda makes you look like the character Rogue from the 'X-Men' movies...heh.

Old NFO said...

Excellent post, and yes, slow is smooth and smooth is fast! Just because you are little does not mean you can't accomplish anything you wish. Her quote is VERY appropriate for anyone!

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Oakley, a suburb of Cincinnati, from which Annie Mosley Butler took her stage name.

M

Julie said...

"Annie Get Your Gun" is my 5y.o.'s favourite movie ever ....