Friday, September 17, 2010

fist fèis

That cheeseball Michael Flatley aside, Irish stepdancing is a very serious, athletic business. The torso is held ramrod straight, arms are held motionless at the sides, and everything below the hips is usually a blur of intricate motion. The rhythm is hypnotic and, even without music, the sound of stepdancing is unmistakable.

Two professional Irish dancers have uniquely translated this tradition using something they were never allowed to before - their hands.

Enjoy. (I recommend you view this full size)



Bonus! This hand dance is an even better example of the pure rhythm of Irish dance.

11 comments:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

pure awesome.

PPPP said...

Yowza !!!

and the WV today is: hotte

Yep - it is.

Laura said...

hah, wow. that was great.

Ed Rasimus said...

I remember my disappointment when I went to a live performance of Riverdance and realized that the floor was miked!

I am now resisting the urge to beat my knuckles bloody trying to emulate them.

Ed Rasimus said...

I remember my disappointment when I went to a live performance of Riverdance and realized that the floor was miked!

I am now resisting the urge to beat my knuckles bloody trying to emulate them.

ZerCool said...

The second example there reminds me VERY much of seeing "Stomp!" about twelve years ago.

Everyday items, pure rhythm (no blues). Trash cans, broomsticks, zippo lighters, you name it. If you have the opportunity to see them, I would highly recommend it.

Old NFO said...

That is some great timing! And a VERY interesting presentation :-)

dr mac said...

Some people have too much time on their hands.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that reminds me of a pep rally in high school where these three students did step-dancing...it was freaking awesome.

Cargosquid said...

Made of awesome. I defy ANYONE not to smile watching this.

LPF said...

Fantastic! My fave was this live one:

Irish Step + Modern + Ballet with a dash of Domestic Violence = "3 little words"

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6XefFBAPhs"